writing helpfrom expert writers.
We are a team of professional native English speaking writers and students, working day and night to create a helpful academic guide for current students. In our posts, we will uncover the secrets of writing essays, research papers, term papers and dissertations. Sometimes we would take on homework assignments from students and assist them in completing their tasks free of charge.
Tips for Writing a Process Paper
Writing a process paper can be a one of the most interesting and rewarding types of essays to write, because it has immediate practical implications. You should learn a how to do or make something, and break it down into discrete steps. Obviously you should make sure you understand the process yourself in as thorough a manner as possible. After the paper is finished, both you and your reader should be able to perform the process, given the necessary tools. So here are some tips to keep in mind when writing a process paper:
- Think about what the reader should be getting out of the paper. Are you explaining a process the reader could do themselves (like brewing beer), or are they merely trying to understand how something is done, but would not be able to do by themselves (like how a car is made).
- Don’t give more information than is necessary. There might be an interesting history or background to the process (the first beer was brewed in ancient Egypt, for instance), but if the goal is to write a simple instruction manual, don’t clutter it up with irrelevant details.
- Give a list of all the tools or equipment necessary to complete the process. If they aren’t common items, where might they be obtained?
- Are there any safety hazards to performing this process? Give any warnings that might be necessary, and list safety equipment along with other equipment.
- What are some common mistakes or ways the process can go wrong. Give some tips on how to avoid potential pitfalls.
- Simple, common language is preferred. A process essay is no place to show off your sophisticated vocabulary. If the process includes some technical terms or names, give definitions where they are needed. There might be some interesting science behind how a process works. This can make a paper interesting, but don’t get too technical, and don’t distract from the process itself.
- Put the steps in chronological order. There might be steps that have to be performed at the same time, or steps which can be performed at various stages in the process. Make sure you are clear on these points.
- If the essay is describing a process the reader is going to perform themselves, use the second person voice (“you”). It is more direct and personal.